We write a lot about GMO foods and eating organic on this blog because they are so terribly destructive to our bodies. However, there is a common idea floating around that all GMO foods are the same.
Unfortunately, nothing could be farther from the truth. Each GMO crop is different and was created by man to do different things. Just yesterday, I sat down with a woman who was recently educated about the nastiness of GMO foods. She knew they were bad and knew they are everywhere but she didn’t have the foggiest idea about the variety and harmfulness of each one.
First, let’s set the stage about GMO….
- A GMO food is a Genetically Modified Organism – That is, your food DNA is mixed with some other DNA…it could be yeast, it could be a bacteria, heck…it could even be mixed with insect DNA (odd but true). It is NOT a HYBRID like taking two roses and putting them together to create a bigger, more colorful bud. It is unwinding DNA and putting it back together with foreign DNA. This is called ‘recombinant DNA’ in scientific parlance.
- If you are not eating 100% organic, you can bet your bottom dollar you are eating GMO foods. They are everywhere….they are in foods you would never suspect.
- The most common culprits you find in almost all processed foods are GMO corn and soy. Our government subsidizes corn production so there is corn in everything….corn syrup, baking powder, maltodextrin. Here is a list of some of the not so easily identified culprits.
So…How are GMO foods different? Well, to go through the entire list would take longer than we have, so I am going to focus on the two biggest GMOs: corn and soy.
- Soy GMOs: Almost 95% of soy in America is a GMO. Soy is a nasty one because they have created it to be “Round-Up Ready”. What this means is that they can spray all the Round-Up (you know, that herbicide you spray on the cement cracks to kill the weeds) you want on the soy and the soy won’t die, just the weeds around it. Sounds good, huh? Too bad we all have Round-up in our blood now, from eating all the Round-Up laden soy. Yuck! Not so good, after all.
- Corn GMOs: Again, unless, you are eating organic corn, you can bet it is a GMO corn. This GMO is designed to explode the stomach of corn pests – a special kind of pesticide. Hmmm….Questions to think on is whether there are structures in our guts that resemble the stomach of those pests? Is it exploding the cilia in our intestines, too? How long before our guts can’t take any more, and you become intolerant of every food on earth?
My personal advice is a bitter pill. Don’t trust any food in a regular super market. Even if they say it is organic, the watchdog groups are up in arms about their lies. Choose to shop at farmer’s markets and food providers that take pride in using non-GMO foods. Also, try your best to stay away from processed foods. I know we don’t make very much ourselves, in our modern world. It isn’t very popular to make your own bread (especially when your cilia are so damaged that you find yourself “gluten intolerant”). However, give it a go. You may find out that all that food you were eating, really tastes like crap anyhow.