Last night I was at my mother’s home celebrating Father’s day. My whole family was there and we even had other family Skyping with us so we could enjoy family that lives in another state. During the Skype, my cousin got up and just left the room. Nobody could find him. When we looked, he was laying in a dark room, moaning. A migraine headache came on that quick and left him incredibly debilitated. He has tried everything and is on the verge of injecting Botox into his head. Instead, I asked him to try these natural remedies for migraines.
If you get migraine headaches, you are willing to try anything. Just looking at my cousin shocked me into the reality of how terrible migraines can be. But before he goes down any extreme road, I asked that he give these 5 natural remedies for migraines a go.
So….what are the natural remedies for migraines, anyhow?
- Vitamin B2: B2, otherwise known as Riboflavin, has been touted as one of the natural remedies for migraines. It doesn’t help a migraine that is in full swing but it is supposed to help prevent the frequency of migraines. You need a high does of upwards of 400 mg a day, every day. Don’t worry about toxicity. B vitamins are water soluble. What your body doesn’t use, it will excrete.
- Magnesium: This mineral is generally used in tandem with the B2 as one of the natural remedies for migraines. This is another preventative supplement. Many people with migraine headaches are often low in magnesium. To get the full benefit, try 200-600 mg per day of chelated magnesium. You will know you have reached your bodies maximum needs when your stools get softer.
- Enzymes: Because migraines are often triggered by foods, anything that helps you digest those foods better is going to necessarily prevent food induced migraines. Keep a food log and find your triggers. In the mean time invest in high powered, high quality enzymes.
- Butterbur: There is some research to suggest that 50-75 mg, twice a day may help with the frequency and duration of migraine headaches.
- Acupuncture: I can think of no better remedy than one where you are not even ingesting a thing. The best part is that if you can get to your professional acupuncture provider in a timely manner, the acupuncture seems to be able to lessen the symptoms during the headache event.
There are more, but this is a good start for anyone at their wits end with these painful headaches. My cousin lost his job due to the frequency of his migraines. Hopefully, when he tries these natural remedies for migraines, he will get the relief he needs!