The future of Acupuncture is exciting! Acupuncture, in the United States, sits side by side with chiropractics, and Naturopaths. We remain subjugated to the side of allopathic medicine in the land of “alternative”. However, things are changing. Not only will acupuncture be covered under the Affordable Care Act but the future of acupuncture is changing from within to meet a whole new world, head on.
So, what is life like in the future of acupuncture?
- Clinical Trials: As acupuncture moves away from alternative to mainstream we can be sure that the future of acupuncture includes testing. We are going to be testing for efficacy, to be sure. Yet, there will also be trials on safety in the practice and favorable outcomes.
- Expanded uses: With the expansion in access via the Affordable Care Act, there will be new populations who did not have access to acupuncture practiced on a cash basis. New research and help will be directed at geriatric populations, those in poverty, military veterans, survivors of natural disasters, children, and those with chronic illness.
- Expanded settings: This new openness to this field bodes well for you in the future of acupuncture. You will find us in hospitals and clinics working alongside allopathic medicine. Integrative health care gives you the opportunity to find acupuncture in places that were once unheard of previously. Already doctors are beginning to start their care in non-invasive fields like acupuncture that provide real help and no unwanted side effects.
- Trans-disciplinary outlook: Professionals from a variety of disciplines are teaming up to conduct research in the acupuncture field. Anthropology, bio-medicine, and public health are teaming up in unprecedented ways to broaden our perspectives and enliven the future of acupuncture
- New uses of technology: Again, by moving acupuncture out of the “alternative” category, we increased access to technologies that document our efficacy and will assist us in your treatment. Techniques such as brain imaging are just one of many with many dramatic and exciting uses for the field.
This is an exciting time to be a part of acupuncture, either as a patient or a practitioner. The field just got broader and the access easier!